Thursday, December 4, 2008

3650 Days ago today...

I remember the first time I told Kari I loved her she laughed at me.

To be fair, we had not been dating long. We had gone to the Irvine Spectrum to see a movie, (It was the Wedding Singer, which was the first movie we saw in a theater.) and we were walking back to my car. Kari, being the person that she is, started to dance in the parking lot. Now, she and I had been getting to know each other pretty well at this point, but at that moment, it just seemed like I was seeing her for the first time. She seemed so happy and full of joy. And at that moment, I realized that I loved her. Now, this is not the kind of realization that allows you to “play it cool” and use your “poker face”. Its not like I was trying to decide between having a burritos and tacos for dinner, and decided on tacos. Needless to say, I must have looked kind of funny, because Kari stopped, looked and me, and the following exchange took place:

Kari – “What are you thinking?”

Me – “You don’t want to know.”

Kari – “Tell me, I want to know.”

Me – “No, you don’t.”

Kari – “Yes. I. do.” (Said in the kind of tone that lets you know that if you don’t fess up, there WILL be trouble.)

Me – “I love you.”

Upon hearing this, my future wife, the mother of my children, my best friend, my eternal companion, the flame on the candle of my soul and the person who makes my life complete, laughed.

She laughed long and hard. At me.

At my heartfelt declaration of love. .

Let’s soak that in for a moment shall we?

Once I got to know her better, I found out that Kari laughs like that when she is nervous, and that she was not mocking me, but I made her nervous by telling her what I was feeling. At the time, not really feeling good about that. Fortunately she only laughs when I tell her I love her sometimes now. (Just kidding)

Kari and I were married for time and all eternity 10 years ago today. Kind of a big deal. I am not sure how we ended up together, or why. But I am glad that we did. We’ve been through some interesting stuff over the last 10 years, but I would not change it for anything. I love Kari, and our relationship has become the best thing that I have.

Thanks for marrying me babe! I love you!









8 comments:

Becky said...

Congratulations! That is a big deal. 10 years! I can't wait till I get there.

Dave said...

Who are these people in the pictures? Oh, I remember! Boy do I remember! Happy 10 years! I am glad that Kari married such a good dancer!

Keri and Neal said...

Very, very nice. Congratulations you guys! This is a big one. Hope you enjoyed celebrating.

Crystal said...

Happy Anniversary!! I hope ya'll are going out of town this weekend. Forget Scouts Kari!!! THis is WAY more important!

Julie said...

Yeah for temples and yeah for Carter being sappy sweet and sentimental! I'm not sure if I want to go watch the Wedding Singer right now of puke from sappy sweetness:) Congratulations you two!

Mikybarb said...

Congratulations on 10 years of fun and still going strong! That was so sweet to read - thanks for sharing! Happy Anniversary!

Sara said...

Congratulations you guys we hit 10 years this year also, I can't believe it has been that long since we were in the singles ward together! I found a picture of Carter and I from the roadshow we did and it made me smile to think of those days. I will have to scan it in and send it to you. Miss you.

MM said...

Ahhhh, Carter earned major wife points with this one, I'd never see Stephen doing something so sentimental, although it would melt my heart!