Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A penny saved is not a penny earned...

So today we are continuing the phasing out naps. So I let Kenzi play in her room instead and told her she cannot come out except to use the bathroom. So she lets me know at one point that she needs to use the potty and she went! Yippee! She got a dum dum and a sticker. I tell her she needs to go back to her room. She does and sits on her floor to eat her dum dum. Well I hear he coughing and starting to cry so I go in her room very quickly. I ask her what is wrong and take note that she is talking so she is breathing. She had her dum dum in her hand and was gagging, drooling and coughing, and of course crying. Through her sobs she tells me her money is gone. It then dawns on me that I noticed a penny in her room when I said she needed to have quiet time. I take a quick surveillance of her room and no penny in site. I then ask the dreaded question "Did you swallow your penny?" "Yes" Well I have never run into this situation with any kid, but have heard enough stories to know that if she is crying and talking she is breathing. So I tell Kenzi I am going to call the doctor. She agrees and asks me to call the doctor. I tell her to calm down and run for the phone. Of course kicking myself that the doctors number is not in my speed dial. I talk to someone who sends me to voicemail. I press zero and say "I really need to talk to a person, my daughter swallowed a penny" Which is what I said the first time. She gets Kenzi's name and age and says they are going to talk to the doctor and to hang on. Needless to say we had to go in. Fortunately my friend Keri was able to come to our rescue and take us to the doctor. The doctor did not seem alarmed at all because Kenzi was not coughing, gagging, drooling, or wheezing. However she did want to know where the penny was. So she sent us to get an x-ray. So I tell Kenzi she is going to get a picture taken of her tummy. She seems fine by that. We go into the room with the big table and "What is that?" comes out of her mouth immediately. I put on the heavy apron and they take the picture. They had Kenzi stay on the table to make sure they got the shot they needed. While I was talking to Kenzi, the technician asked, "Are we sure that she swallowed something?" "Yes we are." "Oh yea, she did!" I then went and looked and saw clear as day a circle near her ribs. "Is it in her tummy?" "Yes it is." So guess what now... Yep, I get to go digging for up to a week! Kids are sooo fun!

Kari

P.S. They would not give me a copy of the film even after my friend explained that I have a blog and I scrapbooked!

5 comments:

Crystal said...

OMG! How scary and nerve racking. I'd make Carter go digging. Save it all for him. :-) When you find it, it has to go in her scrapbook! :-)

Tamara said...

Oh wow. The glamour of motherhood. You should write a book!

Liz said...

Thank goodness for friends with latex gloves!!! Enjoy your search. I had to explain to "B" why Carter needed the gloves and asked if she wanted to help you. Sorry, she declined!!

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

My mom had to dig through my brother's diapers-- he swallowed a sewing needle!!! My mom wanted to die. The doctor's made him eat cotton balls soaked in pepsi in hopes that the cotton would surround the needle and protect his intestines. It did! And the needle came our on Christmas Eve.

Shelley said...

How crazy! I'm sure that freaked you out. Good thing you have such a great sense of humor to deal with a toddler! Just so ya know...you think they would outrow this at some point but my 6 yr. old swallowed a penny just a few months ago!